Google

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Underneath what is real

The closing scene in I'm Still Here, is comparable to anything I've seen from the likes of Terrance Malick, Werner Herzog or even Orson Wells. It looks flat because the movie is shot in a documentary format, but the length and depth of the shot has been with me for over a week.
It takes a lot of guts to, first make a movie like this, and to also allow it be aesthetic in addition to commentary.
At times, I was physically uncomfortable, I couldn't watch. Both Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Aflleck are brave, especially with the current tone of movies and celebrity being part of such a superficial and benign machine.
On this lovely Mother's day, speaking of machines, I think about all the potential, all of the opportunity for my sons to create, and to challenge the confines, and with that, I bid them good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home