Google

Monday, September 24, 2007

Just keep taking it

Endurance, perseverance, resilience all qualities that are lacking on the O'Neill front, except for the endurance part and that is being married for twenty years to the same fella. Indeed that is a huge number within the context of one's own life. But I reckon it's nothing like fighting in world war II, in the pacific theater, on Guadalcanal a 90 mile long island that was fought over by the Japanese and Americans in a bloody and endless mess of lost life, insanity and a sense of victory that changed the dynamic of the war according to Ken Burn's epic program. Okay am I comparing my marriage to a battlefield; no, what I am saying is that it's important to have a frame of reference. So, with that I submit that life is easy in comparison, making, the "Iraq war" easy. Not of course for the people directly involved and or for the people who actually live in the country that's been destroyed. But for Americans, yup. Far too easy and painless, because making it seem like a sacrifice might actually get people involved and interested in why this actually started in the first place and what it all means, rather then where do I get a ribbon for the back of my car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home