Google

Saturday, April 14, 2007

But in my mind

When I teach a class, which I do for mostly seniors or people that are dealing with language barriers, I try and remember what it was like to not understand a subject, to be completely new to something or to really feel that it is beyond your level of comprehension. We, being the we that understand how to use a computer; take it for granted and are so familiar with this process that it rarely dawns on us that so many generations have absolutely no chance of really getting to progress and learn these skills without a lot of intervention.
My two favorite things to tell these students, are "you are in charge of the mouse, it's not in charge of you" and If you need help ask a fourteen year old. They laugh, but I mean it in the truest sense, if they get those two gems out of the class then as far as I'm concerned it was completely successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home