Google

Thursday, April 05, 2007

We're just a minor threat

The thing I remember most about the Cleveland "hardcore" scene, was that it felt very intimate. I was not a part of the group as usual, but I did have friends and was an acquaintance to many. The odd thing, is that even in the sense of being part of a misfit class eluded me. I did however feel a sense of the community and took a great deal of comfort in that.
There were times that we would go to another city to see a show, and sort of watch as other scenes happened, it was extremely familiar but just different enough to have it's own flavor.

Last night while watching American Hardcore, on my HDTV, in my king sized bed in my semi suburban rural home, the irony was not lost on me as they interviewed former and still current hardcorers in front of their pools or nicely furnished homes. A lot of the discussion near the end of the movie revolved around the sudden end to the scene and it's immediacy, but as I think about it, as people aged in the mid or late 80's, the vividness or their intensity and disillusionment sort of became diminished and the world got a little bigger and less about rebellion and more about figuring out how to live with the fucking mess for the years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home