Google

Saturday, February 12, 2011

By the garden

I love Steven Seagal and I'm not afraid to admit it. It's not a romantic thing, it's the perfect combination of cheesy action adventure, martial arts and pseudo mysticism that bring it all together.
As a kid, I used to see martial arts movies with my Dad. It was one of the things we shared, but more so, that expanded to an interest in Eastern philosophies, karate and of course Bruce Lee.

I've always admired the level of discipline and commitment it takes to become a master at anything, and that's because I don't seem to have either of those things.
Last week I ordered a ukulele with plans to start a new journey of discovery. It arrived and and I took it out of the box, worked on some chords and practiced on and off for awhile. Of course it sounded as if I was a novice, that's to be expected.
Gus came home a few hours after that and picked up the instrument and began to play it as if he'd been doing it his entire life. And, there was little or no pausing between chords, he just went to town on it. I gave it to him because really what other choice did I have. I'll get another one, they are not expensive. I expect to play it, but not necessarily well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home