Google

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Brave and sure

I haven't been able to get on the computer at all this week. My parents are visiting and they just want to party all the time.
So, it started with a very strong desire to turn off the TV. I was at the Ford dealership, getting my 5,000 mile service which is actually fancy talk for oil change. Anyway, the "Customer Lounge" was pretty full up, and the television was on, with it's constant chattering about, recipes, local news, loosing weight and peeping Toms of course, so I tried to read Bukowski's new book of poetry; though he's been dead a dozen years or so, his widow seems to keep shitting them out. No chance of that, I tried for a magazine, as I come prepared knowing that I may end up in the rumpus room for hours. I looked up after about an hour, and the room was empty except for I, and therefore the box of noise could be turned off. Seconds after I pressed the power button a woman walked into the room and I looked at her guiltily and stated that I had turned off the TV, but if she wanted it back on that was fine, she declined much to my multifaceted joy. I really just wanted quiet so it was a relief not to have to ready myself for the onslaught. As we both sat down in our respective corners, I looked up and said that it amazes me how everywhere you are there is a television on with it's mind numbing blabber, she agreed and we went on to talk for about forty five minutes about what that constant sound of voices and noise has done to our culture. What it has done to just plain conversation between strangers, and how that has been limited by the frequency of televisions in public settings. And, how we both thought that it probably wasn't the same anywhere but in the USOFA. It was a lovely and I dare say filmic experience. Of course that's how I saw it, let's ask the viewers shall we.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home