Google

Sunday, October 19, 2014

All that remains

Jack Henry bought a car last week, and he has yet to get his drivers license.  It’s a wonder that he manages to get himself together for work, which I know he does, because he’s been promoted twice.
I’ve been doing this too long.  I do want my adult children around from time to time, but I don’t want to be a part of their processes and experiences on a daily basis.
Last night Eamon and I watched Houdini with Adrian Brody.  It was terrible.  And, they added this element of a somewhat inappropriate relationship between Houdini and his mother.    So, if a son and his mother are close, if the tie between them lasts into adulthood, and is a strong one, then there must be something abnormal.
As the mom of three sons, there is a reason that thread made me uncomfortable, because of the misogyny of the narrative.  It discounts a bond that is only found in the parent child confines.  One in which the mother is the first biggest fan, and hopefully maintains that throughout their child’s life.
To spice up a movie, or a story with  an element of unnecessary scandal, when it’s already a cheese fest, just diminishes it even more,  and merely cloaks the feculent mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home