Google

Friday, December 19, 2014

How it was

When I was a youngster, (yesterday), I really liked the first EP that I heard from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  To contextualize, this was the first thing they put out, so everything didn’t sound the same yet.
Anyway, they came to Cleveland, opening for Romeo Void.
My good friend managed to get us back stage to meet them after they played, and that, is part and parcel  in establishing why I never try to meet  people that I like, for their art, music, writing, acting, or anything that needs to be protected from their idiosyncratic behaviors that might, and will probably shade how I feel about them.
Needless to say, I did not feel as though I passed the meat inspection.  And that, was the end of any modicum of positive feelings I had about the band.
Which brings me to Tuesday night.  Gus and I went to see Chris Isaak, sat in the third row, and watched the magic happen.
The magic, is women, mostly middle aged or a bit younger, shaking their groove things for the band.  Not to say, that it wasn’t a festive and danceable experience, but, it could be any band, or any singer.
I have this skewed notion that the music is what matters, and that I am there for the art of it all.  But, it is for most, about the party, and I’m guessing for the band, even in their late fifties, and early sixties, about sex.
It makes me feel prudish,  or overly moral in a sense.  I’m not naïve, I know it’s primary and in our nature, yet, I have this expectation, after all this time, that there is something more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home