Google

Monday, October 07, 2013

I wish I could have told him

I watched Derek this week, and my feelings are mixed. 
It is not as good as I’d like it to be, yet it has some wonderful  goings on, so that makes up for some of the deficiencies me thinks.
The last moments of the final episode, which dealt with Derek’s absentee Father,  had me sobbing.  
Part of the reason for that, is that my dad never knew his father, he had abandoned his family when my father was very young, and as far as he remembers, he only saw him once or twice.
The volume of that, the length and breadth, and  the reach of that in a child’s and then adult’s life is immeasurable.
Ricky Gervais has the rare ability to make something  hilarious, and equally  poignant, he’s the consummate dramatist, albeit a little overly sentimental  on some fronts.
 Regardless, his series Extras and now Derek, touch on the isolation  and the collective with remarkable brilliance and accuracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home