Google

Sunday, April 09, 2006

My my my Grill

We've moved a few times in the last few years. First we moved out to the country, we bought a house with three acres and a barn. Apparently the land had been "the sheep pasture" of a large farm and was parceled off as so many are. most of our land was wooded. Oddly enough the majority of wild life I saw was flattened on the road. I did see a gaggle of Turkey Vultures once and immediately understood where the turkey part of that name came into play. Well, life there was fantastic on many levels. The experience of rural living is unmatched by anything I've ever known. The stars and night noises alone were huge. But it's also a really hard thing to do if your jobs are an hour or so away, so we had to move part of the way back.
In order to make this a manageable thing for three boys in three different schools, I had to come up with a way to make the second move and the adaptation to that very concrete. I thought about all of my new experiences like jobs, or school or even moving to other countries, ( Japan, Turkey, England) and the common thread was that within two weeks you have your system down, or at least the framework for it. Meaning, that you've made friends or found your way around, or a favorite store to buy groceries. So I told them before we moved again to give it two weeks at the new schools because of course we moved in the middle of the year. They grumbled and rightly so, but it did happen. Two weeks in they had names of people they liked and ate lunch with, knew where stuff was and how to get where they had to go. So, the lesson of the day; that your mom will tell you anything to make her feel less guilty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home